Thursday, 3 January 2013

Loafing around



I've had an abundance of over-ripe bananas to work my way through in the last week so luckily I managed to find a recipe for a Banana Nut Loaf that is not only delicious but has no fat in it - yes it's true, such kind of baking actually exists! I admit I do struggle with baking, I absolutely love having my tins filled with home-baked goodies but my hips do not love me back.



Back to the fat-free loaves....I've made six in total and have a nice supply of Banana and something loaves in the freezer. Some I made with the last of our walnuts, another with almonds, and another two with cranberries and coconut - that is my favourite variation I must say. There are three bananas in each loaf so that must give it all the moisture it needs.  Here's the recipe:

Banana Nut Loaf
3 ripe bananas
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup walnuts (or a mix of cranberries/coconut/chocolate/almonds or whatever takes your fancy)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and grease a medium-sized loaf tin.
Mash the bananas, put them in a bowl and add eggs. Beat well. Stir in the sugar, then add sifted flour, salt and baking soda. Mix everything together, then add the chopped nuts (or whatever).
Pour into tin then bake for 1 hour or until the centre springs back with you poke it with your finger. Leave for 5 minutes in the tin before turning out.

Now I just need to remember that they're there in the freezer, ready and waiting for the next time the tins are empty and I'm caught out!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment