Monday, 25 February 2013

Garden notes

 



 


1, 2 & 3: Garden beds
4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9: Camuesa dell'obregrat apples, fattening pears, feijoa, eggplants, cherry tomato jungle, cherry tomato harvest
10: Bramley apples, or what the birds left me rather


It's been nearly seven weeks since my first garden post, I had hoped to do it monthly but that didn't quite work out! So much has changed it's hard to know where to begin. Here are some of the highs and lows:

Let's start with the lows... 
:: the birds got most of my Early Vaille and Bramley apple crops
:: and a lot of my early cherry tomatoes - I must invest in some bird netting next year!
:: whilst being too lazy to get a knife to cut a zucchini one morning I broke the stem so there's no more zucchini
:: there's been very little rain and it's very dry

Right, now they're out of the way here are the highs
:: bowls and bowls full of sweet juicy golden cherry tomatoes, they're piling up on the bench here so I need to think of something to do with them. The kids are loving them, calling them my garden lollies, I love that!
:: Anth discovered six peacherines in the much neglected bank orchard, these trees are only two years old and although they were the size of golf balls, they were the most delicious bits of fruit I've eaten all summer
:: I managed to save five Bramley apples, they are sitting in the fridge waiting for me to stew them up with cinnamon to have on my breakfast
:: The beans have kept on giving, we're enjoying them raw, and cooked with dinner quite a few nights a week, I'll start to freeze some now so we can enjoy them in the depths of winter
:: A bucket full of Camuesa dell'obregrat apples made their way into lunchboxes, stewed apple and apple crumble
:: Beans, parsley and spring onions featured in Tui Creek's Maxi veggie boxes
:: A small but lovely harvest of rainbow carrots, mostly white in colour funnily enough
:: Two baby eggplants growing by the day, I'm hoping we don't run out of summer before they're ready
:: Cutting back the rambling tomatoes gave me space to plant broccoli, purple cauliflower, buttercrunch lettuce and spring onions
:: The fruit on the feijoas are getting fatter by the day, despite the lack of water
:: The pears are fattening up nicely too, another few weeks I'd say and we'll have crates full of them

So that's where we're at here in the last week of February. The nights are drawing in and there's a definite chill in the air in the early morning. Autumn is nearly upon us but there's still plenty of summer left in the garden for a month or so more I'd say. This week I hope to plan and get more winter garden crops started, oh and do something with all those cherry tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment