Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Yarn Along


This cardigan here, has nearly been the death of me!  I love knitting but one of the hardest and most frustrating things I find about knitting is matching patterns designed overseas with locally available yarn. The cardigan in question is Playful Stripes, designed by Alana Dakos, one of my favourite designers, and the pattern uses Debbie Bliss, sport weight yarn. The first problem is right there, I had no sport weight yarn to choose from so had to go for a double knit. I thought about finding a new pattern but Ella was set on her stripes and had her colours all picked out and ready to go.

It all went downhill from there...picture this: serious swatch knitting, calculating stitches to inches, transferring calculations to pattern, much head scratching, casting on, undoing, more calculating, casting on smaller, undoing, cursing the pattern, procrastinating, procrastinating some more, searching internet yarn stores for Debbie Bliss yarn, cursing some more, digging out my favourite top-down pattern, fiddling about fudging two patterns together, finally reaching the end of the bodice section, breathing a sigh of relief and now calmly continuing on.....


Now I'm left with two dilemmas, firstly what to call it - the stripes are definitely Alana Dakos' pattern however the actual construction of the cardigan is Georgie Hallam's Olearia. The second is how on earth I'm going to tell my Mum, who is sitting ready to cast on Lucia's Playful Stripes, to knit it - she doesn't do top-down seamless knitting....! Perhaps I'll end up knitting them both...

Reading this past week has been a much less fraught affair. I'm halfway through The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and I'm really enjoying it. It's very different to the books I've read recently and I'm really liking the change.

Joining in with Ginny and if anyone out there can help with my cardigan dilemmas I'd love to hear from you!

 

4 comments:

  1. Better you attempt that pattern than me, Julie. My concentration for complicated patterns is zero. I had plans of making the Baby Surprise jacket but it did my head in just reading the first section of the pattern, and I promptly handed it on to a more patient and knit-savvy friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours together. This will be a delightful cardigan when done.
    Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is now your pattern. or perhaps we could double banger the surname....Dakos-Hallam??

    ReplyDelete