Wednesday, 15 May 2013

Yarn Along


I'm still plodding away on Ella's cardy, I've lost the love for it a bit but hopefullythis weekend I'll finish it....might as well get it done for this winter!! I have cast on a new project thought that is exciting me, the Shaelyn Shawl by Leila Raabe. As the autumn chill creeps in at both ends of the day I need something to pull around my shoulders and this pattern looks a perfect match for my yarn. I bought the yarn in Japan. I know, it's odd isn't it that I would buy Japanese wool when I live in New Zealand, the land of sheep. There is a method to my madness, it'll be another little reminder of our time there won't it, I'll always remember where the yarn came from, and consequently the amazing family holiday we enjoyed there.... I'm loving how it's knitting up and I can't wait to wear it. I didn't really see myself to be the shawl-wearing type but there are have already been a few times I've been disappointed that it's not finished and wearable.


Aside from the latest NZ Gardener magazine which has me plotting portable chicken runs, I'm still reading Greenhorns and loving it, I really don't want it to end. The overwhelming feeling I'm getting from it is that farming is extremely hard work, these mostly University educated, responsible stewards of the land are living on the bones of their arse so to speak, dealing with all that mother nature throws at them, and barely able break even each season. I often wonder why nurses and teachers are traditionally poorly paid professions, and now I'll add farmers to the list... aren't these some of societies  most important jobs? The thing that saddens me is that the majority of consumers are not prepared to pay a fair price to the local farmer who grew their food, they'd rather throw their dollars at the big faceless companies who manufacture low-cost food from imported goods. It angers me that a bag of apples costs more than a large packet of Twisties and a bottle of Coke, that is seriously wrong. Gosh I could rant on about that for hours but I'll spare you. I'll just finish by saying that the book is very thought-provoking and inspiring. It has me dreaming of CSA models (Community Supported Agriculture - where members pay in advance for a weekly share of the season's harvest) and makes me feel even more passionate about growing our own and eating local.

Joining in with Ginny again

4 comments:

  1. Amei conhecer o seu blog,achei linda as imagens!!! Maravilha!Me visite:http://algodaotaodoce.blogspot.com.br/
    Siga-me e pegue o meu selinho!!!

    Obrigada.

    Beijos Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you'll love wearing a shawl, they are so comforting, and easy. i like bringing home wool from wherever i travel too. interestingly when i was in nz i couldn't find any wool any where!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness that is no good at all! Next time you come to NZ let me know and I'll give you a list of shops/woollen mills to visit. :)

      Delete
    2. oh thank you! next time will be to the south island, do you suppose there will be shops there? it was not a problem that we couldn't find knitting shops, it was more amusing and surprising, since it became this challenge to find mom a shop! luckily i had brought a large bag of alpaca with me (that became the traveling shawl) because we were on the north island almost three weeks, driving over 3,000 miles. but we saw all the sheep! so many lovely lovely sheep!

      Delete