Thursday, 1 May 2014

Yarn-Along



I lost my knitting mojo a while back.  I was sad it had gone and I missed having a project or three on the go. I had tried to get started on a couple of things but they were never quite right and sat in my basket, neglected. Then in the knitting void I took to reading. I went through a phase of spending all my free time devouring books, escapism pure and simple. With all that reading there was no room for knitting although I should have been more organised and listened to audio books. 

Through this knitting hiatus my favourite Aunt (aka my knitting coach) would message me about her exciting projects and it was with her help and encouragement that I cast on my first jumper - a Ysolda Teague Blank Canvas (more on that another time).  I mucked around on that a while but things really got moving when my dearest friend asked me to knit her a pair of socks for her birthday. I went from bingeing on reading to bingeing on knitting - by ignoring all but the most basic of house duties her socks were completed in a record four days. Then I was hooked again! I love knitting socks but had given up as I couldn't get them to fit right, all the patterns came out too large. But that problem has been solved by my knitting coach, it turns out that my tension was too loose and by wrapping the yarn around my little finger twice, I've managed to knit my first perfectly fitting sock, yay! It's the Hearts and Flowers sock from Wendy Johnson's Socks from the Toe Up.

I have a few books on the go at the moment. I'm dipping in and out of Rhonda Hetzel's Down to Earth again. I read the book cover to cover when it first came out a couple of years ago and learned so much from it, she's a very inspiring lady and I'm in need of being inspired at the moment. I already practise a lot of her simple living advice but there's always room for improvement and I've been reminded of a few things I used to do but have fallen out of the habit of. I'm also reading The Matchmaker of Perigord  by Julia Stuart, it's the first book of hers I've read and I'm finding it quite entertaining so far.

Joining in with Ginny.

1 comment: